I understand that as an Advisory Committee member for the Lakota YouthStay program, I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that the organization does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of the organization, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward.
As part of my responsibilities as a committee member:
- I will interpret the organization’s work and values to my community, represent the organization, and act as a spokesperson.
- I will participate in the recruitment and vetting of Lakota youth or Lakota YouthStay hosts.
- I will provide guidance and assistance to Lakota youth/families and/or hosts with the Lakota YouthStay application process.
- I will participate in pre and post-trip surveys and activities.
- I will attend at least 75% of the committee meetings in person and/or online and will participate in special events to the best of my ability.
- I will actively participate in one or more fundraising activities per year.
- I will act in the best interests of the organization, and excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
- I will stay informed about what’s going on in the organization. I will ask questions and request information.
- I will participate in discussions and take responsibility for following up on concerns, issues, policies and other matters.
- I will address misunderstandings, disagreements and/or conflict promptly and in a positive manner with the director and/or other advisors and work diligently to resolve situations to the best of my abilities.
- I will work in good faith with the Program Director and other Advisory Committee members as partners towards achievement of our goals.
- If I don’t fulfill these commitments to the organization, I will expect the Program Director to call me and discuss my responsibilities with me.
In turn, the organization will be responsible to me in several ways:
- I will be sent, without request, an update of organizational activities that allow me to meet the “prudent person” standards of the law*.
- Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the Program Director the organization’s programs, goals, activities, and status; additionally, I can request such opportunities.
- The organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about issues.
- The Program Director and other Committee members will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal and moral responsibilities to this organization.
- The Program Director and other Advisory Committee members will work in good faith with me towards the achievement of our goals.
- If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call the Program Director to discuss the organization’s responsibilities to me.